as you may know, the topic "hospitality" in the Kantian sense of our
responsibilities to visitors
from other societies.  For Kant, and later for Derrida, this becomes a
crucial notion in thinking about the moral status of  individuals who
otherwise lack legal or political standing in the places they find
themselves. Today it is a departure point for thinking about the
elements of a cosmopolitan perspective adequate to our "globalized"
world.

i hope this clarifies any confusion and misconception about the topic.

-ak

>From: Henry Miller <[log in to unmask]>
>To: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: Re: cosmopolitanism and hospitality
>Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2007 16:15:49 +0100
>
>Buster Keaton's 'Our Hospitality' (1923) is seminal here.
>
>On 8/19/07, David Sorfa <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> > I think it would be more useful if requests like this included a
>description
> > of exactly why the researcher is interested in the subjects they are
>asking
> > for suggestions about (obviously Ali is thinking about Derrida here -
>more
> > info please!).
> >
> > As has often been pointed out, this list is not a fancy search engine.
> >
> > Cheers
> > David
> > Editor, Film-Philosophy
> >

> > On 18/8/07 03:00, "ali kashani" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> >
> > > dear list members,
> > > could you please recommend films that deal with the following topics:
> > > "cosmopolitanism" and "hospitality".
> >
> > *
> > *
> > Film-Philosophy salon
> > After hitting 'reply' please always delete the text of the message you
>are replying to.
> > To leave, send the message: leave film-philosophy to:
> > Or visit: http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/film-philosophy.html
> > For help email: [log in to unmask], not the salon.
> > *
> > Film-Philosophy journal: http://www.film-philosophy.com
> > Contact: [log in to unmask]
> > **
> >

>*
>*
>Film-Philosophy salon
>After hitting 'reply' please always delete the text of the message you are
>replying to.
>To leave, send the message: leave film-philosophy to:
>Or visit: http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/film-philosophy.html
>For help email: [log in to unmask], not the salon.
>*
>Film-Philosophy journal: http://www.film-philosophy.com
>Contact: [log in to unmask]
>**

Now you can see trouble…before he arrives
http://newlivehotmail.com/?ocid=TXT_TAGHM_migration_HM_viral_protection_0507

*
*
Film-Philosophy salon