    Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2007 14:40:50 +0100 (BST)
    From: Steven Crookes <[log in to unmask]>
 Subject: Ancient UK fish samples
      To: [log in to unmask]

Dear Dr Albarella,

I am a PhD student at Royal Holloway, University of London, working
under the supervision of Dr. Paul Shaw([log in to unmask]). My major
project undertaking is the distribution of genetic variation among UK
populations of roach (Rutilus rutilus). However, this species has been
anthropogenically translocated innumerable times and by unknown
quantities. Thus, it would be useful to have some understanding of
levels of genetic variation among individuals before the widespread
translocations of fish by humans became commonplace. The only sure way
to measure this directly is to analyse the DNA of ancient tissue
itself, IF it exists.

I am writing to enquire as to whether you have
collections of any 'ancient' material specifically known to have once
belonged to a roach individual that could be made available for genetic
analysis, or whether you may know of anyone who works in archaelogical
and/or palaeontological circles who have come across fish tissue in
their daily work. Any samples should be from the UK. Partial amounts of
tissue would be subjected to DNA extraction protocols, and an analysis
of the nucleotide sequences undertaken (utilising the expertise of the
Ancient DNA Group here at RHUL).

I would be extremely grateful if you have any information you could
impart to me for which you would be accordingly acknowledged; or if you
know of anyone who may be in a position to help, could you please
forward this
e-mail.

Kind Regards,

Steve Crookes

Steve Crookes BSc MSc
Department of Ecology and Evolution
School of Biological Sciences
Royal Holloway, University of London
Egham
Surrey
TW20 0EX
Tel: (01784) 414692

----- End forwarded message -----

--
Umberto Albarella
Department of Archaeology

"There is no way to peace. Peace IS the way".