I'm not sure if you mean person or software when you say 'client'?

If a software client did that it would be misbehaving AFAIK.  A Web
browser isn't allowed to add an arbitrary slash onto the end of a URL in
the way you suggest.

A human might choose to do so - I don't quite see why they would, but I
guess they might.  If you felt this was likely to be a problem you could
configure your server to handle

http://www.aber.ac.uk/foo/bar.php

http://www.aber.ac.uk/foo/bar

and

http://www.aber.ac.uk/foo/bar/

in the same way ??

Again, on the Eduserv site, all of the following result in the same
resource being served:

http://www.eduserv.org.uk/foundation/news.html

http://www.eduserv.org.uk/foundation/news

http://www.eduserv.org.uk/foundation/news/

Note that this has side-effects on the way relative URLs work - so it
can take you by surprise occassionally!  It is also somewhat
questionable practice in the sense that the W3C recommend that you only
assign one URI to each resource.  Encouraging the use of multiple URIs
for the same resource has a potential negative impact on Google-juice.
At Eduserv, my personal preference would be to pick one of the second
two URI forms here and stick to it (and only it)!

Andy
--
Head of Development, Eduserv Foundation
http://www.eduserv.org.uk/foundation/