John, that is correct. It was when Wegelin was working
for John Anderson, Jr., the New York City bookseller
who eventually bought the firm of Bangs & Co.

Wegelin was working for Anderson when in strolls
Herman Melville one day in autumn of 1890. Melville
made inquiries about a book on whaling to Anderson,
who asked him whom he had the pleasure of addressing,
neither knowing his identity nor recognizes him. The
excitement of learning it was Herman Melville stuck
with the young Wegelin who used to make book
deliveries to Melville's home.

John

http://tv.yahoo.com/