Dear John,

Thanks.  That is a wonderful old piece that I haven't read in years, and
ought to get back to.  As I recall Wegelin remembers seeing HM wandering
about in bookstores.

yrs,
John

___________
John Bryant, English Department, Hofstra University, Hempstead, NY 11549
>>> [log in to unmask] 07/09/07 2:39 PM >>>
John:

I do not know if this citation is of any use to you
regarding Melville, but reading your post reminded me
of an article I read by Oscar Wegelin published in The
Colophon. It is a collection of small reminiscences of
Melville 1890 until his death and about his wife and
the sale of his library after his death. See Wegelin,
Oscar, "Herman Melville As I recall Him," The
Colophon, New Series, Volume i, No. 1, Summer (1935) :
21-24.

John

--- John Bryant <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Hi Mark,
>
> I think you mentioned this to me last spring, and
> I'm glad this popped
> up now.  I was just thinking of you and asking for
> this site URL.
> Melville had a Leicester contact, a businessman
> named James Billson, and
> I want to see what's over there about him, some day
> when I am not so
> busy with digitizing HM here, and there's fewer
> bombings in the world:
> or non=bombings.  Hope you are well, and that your
> search for a new
> Peter is evolving.  I'll try to visit this site
> soon.
>
> yrs,
> John
>
> ___________
> John Bryant, English Department, Hofstra University,
> Hempstead, NY 11549
> One serious piece of advice: search www.a2a.gov.uk,
> this is a boolean
> search engine through all the English county record
> offices and quite a
> few other things. It will provide a lot of red
> herrings and a lot of
> gold: be prepared to spend a few days collating the
> data, and having a
> few busted visits; also choose a few differest words
> (depending on what
> you are interested in) ... how many thousand volumes
> do you want to
> find?
>   Cheers,
>   Mark
>
> ________________________________
>
> From: The list of the European Society for Textual
> Scholarship and the
> Society for Textual Scholarship on behalf of Ivan
> Lupic
> Sent: Fri 06/07/2007 21:51
> To: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: Re: Mid 18th Century Commonplace Notebooks
>

> I would be very interested to read responses to this
> query posted on the
> list.
>
> Many thanks in advance.
>
> Ivan Lupic

John N. Lupia, III
Beachwood,  New Jersey 08722 USA; Beirut, Lebanon
Fax: (732) 349-3910
God Bless Everyone

http://tv.yahoo.com/collections/265