From: Simon Chadwick <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Wednesday, 11 July, 2007 4:10:58 PM
Subject: Re: Radio Programme

Radio Programme
Richard,

Thanks for this - I missed it completely.

The guy who interviewed me confessed a) to not knowing very much about sport; and b) to knowing even less about the European Review. I think both of these bits of information are telling, especially as the BBC was involved.....clearly the Review has been afforded low priority by the Corporation.

To follow up Borja's postings as well, having recently been involved with Play the Game, members of which are drawn from across Europe, I get no particular sense of the Review being an issue, a concern or a priority. This is not a criticism of the organisation or the people involved. Rather, in combination with the BBC coverage, it tends to suggest that many people believe other items on the sporting agenda are currently more important.

Finally, I am literally just back from Roehampton where I was lecturing on a summer school programme for sports students from US universities. Trying to explain how we Europeans 'do' sport was a tough task. Many of the students, a bright bunch, seemed utterly bewildered by what I was saying (although this could have been due to my Northern accent). Clearly, members of this forum, myself included, have some hard work ahead of us.

Have a good summer.

Best wishes.

Simon.

Dr Simon Chadwick
Co-Director - Birkbeck Sport Business Centre
Programme Director - MSc Sport Management and the Business of Football
Editor – International Journal of Sports Marketing and Sponsorship
Birkbeck
University of London
Malet Street
London WC1E 7HX