Steps to correct the problem (some of these steps may, or may not, have
helped):

1. Update the linux kernel-header files.
2. Order MATLAB 2007a+ (and install, with some incredible help from
MATLAB's Super-Duper Customer Service)
3. Redownload spm5.tar.gz and Updates_826.tar.gz.
4. Reinstall spm5 and update package.
5. Recompile the mexa64 files as per Kathy Pearson's wondeful
suggestions. (Contained in this thread, I think she attached a file
spm5_mex.txt)
6. Install compat-libstdc++ for the x86_64 distro.

Off to the races!! Yay!

I think that the redownload of spm5 (and updates) was the crucial step,
although, I tried so many things that it's hard to say :)

THANKYOU ALL FOR ALL YOUR HELP! You've been invaluable; once again, I'm
impressed by the community behind SPM (and all the other free imaging
softwares out there).

Talk to you all soon, when I have my next intractable problem....

-Daniel

>>> John Ashburner <[log in to unmask]> 07/30/07 10:54 am >>>

This is very strange.  If you do Control-C, does MATLAB print out a
stack of

things that it is trying to do?  This snippet may help to narrow down
the

problem...

spm_defaults;

spmdir = fileparts(which('spm'));

fname = fullfile(spmdir, 'templates', 'EPI.nii');

N=nifti(fname);

N.hdr

N.mat

All the best,

-John

On Wednesday 25 July 2007 00:02, Daniel Schwartz wrote:

> Thanks again, sorry to keep coming back at you...

> #1 hangs forever.

> #2 The process you've described (copying line by line into the Command

> WindowThe equivalent of using F10 to step through the spm_vol_nifti

> function, I assume, hangs on line 28, mat = N.mat. In fact, any

> attempt to access this particular field of object N hangs forever,

> including size, class, etc. However, the object doesn't seem unstable,

> as I can access other fields, such as N.dat, without trouble.

> I feel like there is something simple I am missing...

> Thankyou!

> -Daniel

> Daniel Schwartz, CIC

> Functional Brain Imaging Lab

> Oregon Health & Sciences University

> 3181 SW Sam Jackson Pk. Rd.

> Portland, OR 97239

> (503) 494-6494

> Daniel,

> Here are some lines you might try:

> (1)

> matlab

> spm_defaults;

> spmdir = fileparts(which('spm'));

> fname = fullfile(spmdir, 'templates', 'EPI.nii');

> v = spm_vol(fname);

> vol = spm_read_vols(v);

> If #1 fails, then if you think the problem is in spm_vol_nifti:

> (2)

> matlab

> spm_defaults;

> spmdir = fileparts(which('spm'));

> fname = fullfile(spmdir, 'templates', 'EPI.nii');

> n = [1 1];

> ... drag and drop every matlab statement AFTER this one

> if nargin<2,  n = [1 1];      end;

> ... from spm_vol_nifti to your matlab command window

> That might give you some info.  Also, you may want to use some other

> file name from the templates directory or elsewhere.

> If you have trouble when you reference this line in spm_vol_nifti:

> N = nifti(fname);

> that may indicate that the SPM version 5 code is not on top in your

> matlab path.  If your SPM5 path is here:

> /code/spm5

> and other SPM versions exist, then these commands may be needed for

> setup:

> addpath('/code/spm5');

> spmver = spm('ver', [], 1);

> disp(['setting paths for version ... ' spmver]);

> spm_defaults;

> Kathy Pearson

> WFUHS Radiology

exactly

> like it did before. However, I followed Ged Ridgeway's advice (after

> recompiling the mex functions as per Kathy Pearson's advice) and tried

> to step through each function. It seems that it hangs on every call to

> access the array N.mat. In particular, when I try to load EPI.nii from

> the templates folder, it hangs on line 28 of spm_vol_nifti, mat =

> N.mat. Calls to most of the other fields in the N object seem to go

> just fine, such as X = double(N.dat); which is a fairly large array,

> (~90x90x90), so I don't think that the cpu is just getting drowned by

> the sheer array sizes or anything. Does anyone have any advice about

> getting SPM5 working on my poor unfortunate Linux box?

> Commands to reproduce my error:

> > file = fullfile(spm('dir'), 'templates', 'EPI.nii');

> > dbstop in spm_vol_nifti

> > vol = spm_vol(file)

> > <<F10 to line 28>>

> Fedora Core 6 (Zod), Dual Quad Core Intel 2.33 GHz Processors, 4 GB
RAM,

> gcc v4.1.2, MATLAB R2006b.

> Thankyou! My modified Makefile is attached...

> -Daniel

> Daniel Schwartz, CIC

> Functional Brain Imaging Lab

> Oregon Health & Sciences University

> 3181 SW Sam Jackson Pk. Rd.

> Portland, OR 97239

> (503) 494-6494

> Daniel,

> Attached are the commands that I use to recompile the MEX functions
for

> RedHat 64-bit Linux.  Note that your matlab path may be different.

> Kathy Pearson

> WFUHS Radiology

applicable