Message
I wonder if other colleagues received the e-mail notice about the "19-minute non-profit award-winning short-film on University teaching recently produced by the University of Aarhus, Denmark entitled: "Teaching Teaching & Understanding Understanding", and if so whether you viewed it. If you saw it, what did you think about it? Would any of you consider using it?
It seemed to me to be a gross simplification of all the issues about student approaches to learning and to teaching for understanding. The point where I laughed out loud was when the voiceover said, talking about the unfortunate 'Robert' who is the student with a surface approach who prefers to listen to his i-pod while also smoking!, that, by following the principles of constructive alignment, 'Whatever happens he ends up learning what the teacher expected' as if there was an inevitability about this. The final advice is 'teach so that Robert behaves like Susan' (Susan being the dream student who has a deep approach to everything she learns). I can't believe that John Biggs, who endorses this film, really thinks that it's as simple as that.
I am alone in thinking that this is laughable? Would you give an award to this film?

David Gosling
Higher Education Consultant
Visiting Research Fellow
University of Plymouth