Very many thanks to all of you who have taken the time to respond to my
message on File Naming.  I will post a summary of comments when I've
actually made sense of them!

I thought it would bve useful to clarify the context of my question -
something I did not do originally.

We do not currently have an EDRMS so the file naming/version control is
being applied to files/folders and documents on the network - basically a
windows based file management structure.  We are aiming to establish
titling components that we feel should be mandatory at this point in time
to enable content identification and retrieval.

Thanks

Claire