Dear All

I have been contacted by someone from the Education Welfare Service
(something I know very little about but am hoping someone on here does!)
about destroying their backlog of children's case notes/files, these
include:

- School Attendance Orders
- Prosecution for irregular attendance
- Parenting Orders
- Education Supervision Orders

Their current practice is to close at the end of year 11 (age 16) and keep
for ten years.  Referrals to the files after closure are minimal and the
only justification for retaining appears to be "just in case".  I
recommended reducing the retention period to 6 years and was wondering if
anyone has any comments on that or could tell me if there are ant
requirements that I am not aware of?

Many thanks

Claire Park
SIRO