Simplifying and generalising and speaking without evidence, I presume
the concern is that, when statistics are released and there is a
simultaneous Ministerial (political) press release, people get confused
between the statistics and the (Ministerial) spin, and start to think
that the statistics themselves are contaminated with spin.

However, as Ray suggests, giving Ministers and their aides/advisers 24
hours rather than 5 days to write this press release won't make any
difference to that. The only solution would be to have no pre-release
period, then Ministers get to react to statistics on an equal basis with
everyone else.

In addition to Paul's point, one advantage of shortening the pre-release
window is that, the shorter the pre-release window, the less time there
is for politicians and their aides/advisers to leak material/try to
manage expectations.

Mike

ray thomas wrote:
>> "Some have suggested, however, that the
>> existing arrangements for giving Ministers advance sight of National
>> Statistics are overly generous and contribute to a perception of
>> Ministerial interference in statistics, which in turn has an impact on
>> trust in statistics. "
>
> The Royal Statistical Society has made this suggestion repeatedly.   But is
> there any evidence to support the suggestion?   Pre-release does not affact
> the statistics themselves.   There has been no suggestion that pre-release
> is associated in any way with altering or fiddling  the figures. Pre-release
> gives
> the opportunity to the Government of the day to put their own slant in
> interpreting
> the statistics - just as they can do with the publication of any other kind
> of information.
> Why should the public expect otherwise?
> Why should statistical publications be viewed or treated
> differently from other kinds of reports?

Please note that if you press the 'Reply' button your
message will go only to the sender of this message.
If you want to reply to the whole list, use your mailer's
'Reply-to-All' button to send your message automatically
to [log in to unmask]
Disclaimer: The messages sent to this list are the views of the sender and cannot be assumed to be representative of the range of views held by subscribers to the Radical Statistics Group. To find out more about Radical Statistics and its aims and activities and read current and past issues of our newsletter you are invited to visit our web site www.radstats.org.uk.