-----Original Message-----
From: BERA Practitioner-Researcher
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Dianne
Allen
Sent: Monday, 30 July 2007 10:52 a.m.
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Convenor's welcome

Hello, Jack, and others here.

If I have anything to add to the conversation here, it is in relation to
what might be implicit in my understanding of the nature of
practice-relevant research, as I worked up to express it in my master's
thesis.

I was drawing on some of the themes and work of a number of participants
here in this list, and some of my expressed, and some unposted engagements
with the debate here and at JeKan's LAR site.

The following links might take your other readers to what I have done.

Access to Thesis:

http://www.library.uow.edu.au/adt-NWU/public/adt-NWU20050901.105532/index.ht
ml

Access to My Current Professional Interests:

http://www.cfkeep.org/html/snapshot.php?id=60792183653258

I also append an attachment of extracts from my final thesis chapter for
those interested.

In summary, I find that in exercising my judgement about standards of
educational practice, I use a multitude of criteria, applied to the multiple

evaluative dimensions associated with educational practice.

From Donald Schon, I understand practice to be the exercise of multiple
evaluations, over multiple dimensions, in sequence, where the sequence can
be re-cast, if the solution proves unsatisfactory, in-practice, taking us
into 'creativity', or what Schon called 'reframing'.

From my understanding of inputs from Michael Patton, Stephen Toulmin, Chris
Argyris, Donald Schon, Gregaory Bateson, and John Heron, and the engagement
of John Heron with Egon Guba and Yvonne Lincoln, I have come to the
understanding that

"My more nuanced understanding of the nature of inquiry, and of inquiry into

practice, in-practice, including inquiry into the practitioner's thinking
that is informing action, suggests that reflective research of practice can
never be a singular, undifferentiated activity.   Consequently, there can be

no simple formulation for evaluating the quality of reflective research of
practice.   The methods employed to conduct any research of practice need to

be various, so that there can be a match of what is being inquired into, by
what method, and with a view to the kind of knowledge that needs to be
formed by such a process, including consideration of the intrinsic values
being applied to humanness in the way such knowledge is developed."

Dianne Allen

Kiama Australia