Yes, what I am saying is apparently so startling that it can not be understood.  I am saying that the person who wrote this -- and meant it -- shouldn’t be taken seriously.

  “I don’t know of any other male poet today who has written about scuncis-- recognized them as integral to the texture of our lives.”

  This is typical.

  You will see that William Butler Yeats agrees with me -- if you listen to “A Simple Desultory Philippic.”  Here:  http://thejeunessedoree.libsyn.com/

  Yet, here, and in my private correspondence with Rachel, I expand on my comments.  There’s nothing that I wrote to her (with the exception of a poem I sent indicating my encounter with the comic grotesque) that I haven’t written here.

  I have been very explicit.  My remarks go way beyond the grotesqueness of  the Silliman perplex.

  Maybe if I am very specific once again, it will be possible to see that my initial melancholy was caused by more than by the fact that a dull remark by Silliman was taken seriously.

  I am told that “Jacket” is quite the thing.  So I am depressed when I encounter 80 pages of low level blathering and resentment and personal anecdote, and the usual attacks, and awful pictures, and what seems to me essentially the kind of nightmare conversation I would encounter if I was forced to listen to Adorno clones discuss jazz.  Ok, that’s not exactly right.  The Adorno clones would possess a mad but learned rigor not available there.  Ok, so my impression is of various MFA students circa 1992 possessed by Adorno clones.  80 pages of bloggery.  I indicated that this is depressing -- and wondered what would happen if Jacket were a print publication and had to pay for those 80 pages.  Maybe we would get an essay of the good old sort by someone there.  Maybe I just miss Hugh Kenner.

  Maybe I am very tired of the Usual Suspects.  Did I write this?  Yes, I did.  Was I understood?  No, I was not understood.

  Jacket is, I am told, the World!  Seems like a small room in Hell to me.  The endless same.  The Eternal Return of the Same.

  Which is, exactly, what poetry is not.

  Then I learn that this has been a year in the making.  Hence my despair.

Roger Day <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

  I agree wholeheartedly with Rachel's sentiments.

Joe, your antipathy towards Ron is well-documented and I find your
interventions against Ron Silliman rather lacking in civility which is
a shame as I think what we do deserves better. One unintended
consequence of your intervention this time is that I shall go back and
re-read the article in question.

I have to admit though that my humour gene is missing, and I've been
trying to find it for a while now.

Roger

--
My Stuff: http://www.badstep.net/
"In peace, sons bury their fathers. In war, fathers bury their sons."