LIFE

You start out young and strong and bold
and end up doing as you're told.

PUZZLEMENT

I sometimes cannot help but wonder
why God doesn't speak in thunder.

CATULLUS:  ODI ET AMO [FROM THE LATIN]

I hate and love:  it may seem strange to you,
but I am crucified between the two.

ANNALES VOLUSI [AFTER CATULLUS]

The Volusian "Saga of Rome"
has a place in every home,
since "The Saga of Rome" by Volusius
makes a wonderful wipe for your tooshius.

CREDO [FROM THE GREEK OF CALLIMACHUS]

I hate political poems.  Not for me,
the human wad that clogs the great high way.
A love that's everyone's business?  Forget it.  A drink
from the common trough?  No, thanks.  The public:  yuck.

CALLIMACHUS:  HERACLEITUS

The news you were gone, Heracleitus, brought me to tears:
I remembered how many twilights we'd worn out together,
talking the sun to his rest.  And now, I suppose,
you are nothing but dust, old friend, in your home far away.
But your nightingales are singing, too quick for the touch
even of death who robs us of everything.

THE MARQUIS DE SADE

The Marquis de Sade
was decidedly odd.
He provides some diversion
if you share his perversion.
Else better let be
that appalling Marquis.

KATHEMERIPOIESIS

It's fine to write a poem a day,
provided you throw them all away.

ARCHILOCHUS:  THE SHIELD [FROM THE GREEK]

Some Thracian soldier's got my shield;
  I tossed it when I ran away.
So fuck the shield.  I'll get one new
  and fight again another day.

ANOTHER VERSION:

I jettisoned my gear
when I ran from the recent strife,
so I'm out the price of a shield:
not much to pay for your life.

ON THE DEATH OF AN ENEMY

Unjust, that this will happen to me too,
who am so much a better man than you.

THE CONSTRUCTION OF SEXUALITY IN CLASSICAL ANTIQUITY

An ancient Roman bard, or vates,
highly praised his puer's nates.
But since this poet was the doer,
he counts as straight, unlike the puer.

A MEDITATION

I'm going to die.
God knows why.

SIMONIDES:  EPITAPH FOR THE SPARTANS AT THERMOPYLAE [FROM THE GREEK]

Stranger, report to the Spartans
we lie here, mission accomplished.

NONBEING [FROM THE GREEK ANTHOLOGY]

Kiss my ass, world, after I'm dead and gone.
No reason I should care what's going on.

--

   Jon Corelis     www.geocities.com/jgcorelis/