Dear David

Well said. I do think that design needs some pretty bold moves, even
poetic ones, good or bad, mature or immature. In a recent message on my
blog I made the following statement about two significant moments of the
human design journey.
http://design-for-india.blogspot.com/2007/07/ifa-exhibitions-in-stuttgart-and-berlin.html

That these aspects of design are not tangible in the exhibits is both a
problem and a challenge for the design initiative and it would be
appropriate for us to remember here that Germany is the home of both the
Bauhaus (1919 – 1936) and the Hfg Ulm (1950 – 1968), both great design
schools, nay great design movements, that showed the world the power and
subtlety of design, from shaping form to structure, and from the
creation of meaning and beyond, at one level a play of aesthetics and
technology, at another economy and style and at yet another, politics
and philosophy and about the shaping and manifestations of a vision or
intention, the shaping of culture itself.

UnQuote

What you see in design exhibits and images is not the whole story and
similarly what you read in poetry is not the whole story either, the
difference may lie in the intentions and not in the expresion. Your call
to the poets on the list could be extended to the designers as well, do
you agree?

With warm regards

M P Ranjan
from my Mac at home on the NID campus
26 July 2007 at 11.55 pm IST

Prof M P Ranjan
Faculty of Design
Head, Centre for Bamboo Initiatives at NID (CFBI-NID)
Chairman, GeoVisualisation Task Group (DST, Govt. of India) (2006-2008)
National Institute of Design
Paldi
Ahmedabad 380 007 India

Tel: (off) 91 79 26623692 ext 1090 (changed in January 2006)
Tel: (res) 91 79 26610054
Fax: 91 79 26605242

email: [log in to unmask]
web site: http://homepage.mac.com/ranjanmp/