Dear Ken:

I usually find your posts interesting, and appreciate the way that you take
the time to document your sources.  However, in the post attached below,
among other things you commented:

"The charge was that anthropology as a discipline or field is driven by
colonial impulses. That is a way of saying that every anthropologist and the
entire field serve[s] the geopolitical strategy of colonialism and that the
field is therefore an extension or form of imperialism."  (See full text
below.)

And

"The issue of colonization in the notes on anthropology was not a matter of
disciplines colonizing one another, but a question of whether anthropology
as a field was corrupted and driven by colonial impulses. Anyone who knows
the history of colonialism and its imperialist priorities must see this as a
harsh indictment."

While it is clear that your intention is to protect the virtue of
anthropology as a field, I believe that, at least on the University of
Wisconsin campus, it would be a simple task to find many scholars spread
across disciplines that strongly disagree with you.  Colonialism as a
driving force in the focus of 19th and 20th century scholarly activity and
practice is a major research area in the humanities here, and cuts across
traditional disciplinary lines.  In this environment, the idea that academia
was/is corrupted and driven by colonial impulses is accepted as a given, and
the focus is more on trying to figure out what this means for us as
scholars.

Just one random example which supports my assertion, from the "GLOBALIZING
THE UNCONSCIOUS: Histories of Colonialism & Psychoanalysis" research circle
Web site (affiliated with the department of medical history and bioethics):

"For most of the twentieth century, psychoanalysis was a tool both of empire
and of anti-imperialism. Insights from psychoanalysis shaped European ideas
about the colonial world, the character and potential of "native" cultures,
and the anxieties and alienation of displaced white colonizers and
sojourners. Moreover, this intense and intimate engagement with empire came
to shape the global psychoanalytic subjectivities that emerged in the
twentieth century, whether European or non-European."
http://www.internationalresearch.wisc.edu/GlobalUnconscious/

As examples of others with similar interests, the UW International Institute
Web site hosts a number of Research Circles, made up of researchers with
overlapping interests, and colonialism and its latent effects on scholarly
disciplines is an important part of that research.  Other Research Circles
are at http://www.internationalresearch.wisc.edu/ .  These are only a few of
the groups on campus that incorporate colonialism and its legacies within
academic disciplines as a topic.  Others include the Visual Culture Cluster
and Women's Studies.

Closer to the design world, other scholars actually focus on areas that
overlap with design, using colonialism as a lens to look at how designers
and their designs were tools of colonialism, both consciously and
unconsciously.  Their work may not directly critique fields such as
anthropology, but that critique is implicit in their methodology.  One
colleague whose work I enjoy because of its implications for design is Jill
Casid, (http://www.wisc.edu/arth/bio/casidbio.html) She is finishing up a
book that addresses this type of issue, looking at projection devices in the
19th century and their use as tools of colonialism and power:
Shadows of Enlightenment: Reason, Magic, and Technologies of Projection
(University of Minnesota Press, forthcoming). She has also published a book
that addresses landscape and colonization, also of interest to designers
because of its implications for "innocent" designers who do not have
colonial impulses themselves.

As another example, in my own academic department, we have a Material
Culture program, and one of many subtexts is the relationship between
designers, designed objects and colonialism.  Anthropological source
material related to material culture includes colonial biases and filters,
and ignoring this can be a problem.  (And this is different from saying we
all have biases, just live with it.  Some issues overshadow most others, and
colonialism is one of those issues in this context.)

Most disciplines these days in the humanities have people who spend a lot of
time looking at their own fields and thinking critically about the
assumptions that shapes those disciplines.  Many researchers would agree
that anthropology was and is shaped by colonialism and often finds itself as
a tool for gaining power; this applies even when anthropologists are not
actively engaged in creating colonial tools. However, rather than seeing
this as a negative it could be seen an opportunity to learn something.
Perhaps design research could use a bit more of this self-critique from
within, because others outside of the field are already doing so, sometimes
without the insights into the finer points of what it means to design.

So, I feel a bit like someone who is criticizing the good deed of a helpful
citizen who just assisted an infirm person across a busy street corner.  I
applaud the good-hearted interest and intent, but am suggesting that the
infirm person may not really have intended to cross that street in the first
place.

Regards,
MSC

PS:
So, as long as I am on the verge of sermonizing, I might as well go ahead
and say that what I would propose is that as design researchers we need to
look more closely at our own field and think a lot about issues such as
embedded patterns of gender, colonialism and power.  I believe that this is
something that can best come from academia rather than from practice, and
design could use a bit of naval gazing about its role in things such as
subjugating oppressed people.  This includes not just the obvious things
such as children working in sweat shops but less obvious things such as the
use of Modernist architectural theory to erase indigenous culture design
traditions.  This research is already being done by scholars outside of the
design field.

M.S.C. Nelson
Assistant Professor
Environment, Textiles and Design