I cannot comment on the question asked, but the consultation does give an
opportunity to ask for a change in the CRoW regime fro Occupier's liability.
The full wording of the exception for 'natural features' is for "a risk
resulting from the existence of any natural feature of the landscape, or any
river, stream, ditch or pond whether or not a natural feature".  The term
'natural feature is not defined, but the implication of the next phrase is
that an archaeological feature would not be one.  Thus if some one fell off
a quarry face or from the top of an old building, there might be a
liability.  I would suggest that we should campaign for an extension to the
exemption to include historical and archaeological remains, not less than
(say) 50 years old.

There must clearly be an obligation on landowners to take reasonable care
that they do not have dangerous open mine shafts on accessible land (for
example by fencing them), as these are potentially a latent hazard, but to
encourage them not to destroy or damage other remains.

The consultation speaks of primary legislation.  Such could make the
necessary amendment.

Peter King
49, Stourbridge Road,
Hagley,