Dear Carolyn
I have been meaning to ring and thank you sooooo much for all your kind and warm thoughts both around the time of the interview and then when the job came through ..thank you so much  - i do so appreciate your phone messages  - and I know I'm hopeless at getting back to you - but I am very thankful  - and I think about you heaps!!!!
Sx

Carolyn Hastie wrote:
Beautifully said Céline.

"Reading birth and death" Jo Murphy Lawless's book is great for this
conversation. I recommend any one who hasn't read it to get a copy.

warmly, Carolyn

Carolyn Hastie
Midwifery Manager
Belmont Birthing Services
Hunter New England Health

Conjoint Senior Lecturer
School of Nursing & Midwifery
University of Newcastle

FACMI  IBCLC

Mobile 0428 112 786
Email     [log in to unmask]

"I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust
my sails to always reach my destination" -- Jimmy Dean

Céline Lemay <[log in to unmask]> 10/07/2007 10:15 pm >>>

We have so much opportunity to claim the reality of "unique normality".
Yet,
every physician and anesthesiologist recognise that.
The problem with "normal" is that we never add the most important
questions:
"for whom?" and "related to what?"
With the technological power to deny death, we hang on to the illusion
of
certainty with epidemiological thinking. The notion of "evidence" is
one of
the best illustration of that.
The other problem is our obstinacy to reduce pregnancy and birth to
their
biological components. In a way, physiology is daily life but in
another
way, childbirth is an "extra-ordinary" life event. All societies have
their
own rituals to deal with that. When birth is a passage and a mystery
where
the ancestors and the deities are in presence, the shaman or some "wise

woman" are needed to "monitor" the energy and the flow. They read
"birth"
(emergence). In western societies, we put all our time and energy to
monitor
the biomedical parameters ( normal most of the time) because we are
reading
"death".
 The body/mind split brings a lot of alienation and suffering in that
most
important human process: childbirth.

all the best,

Céline