Posted Mon, 30 Jul 2007 16:41:30
This message was forwarded through MEDSOCNEWS.
If you wish to make an announcement or publicise
an event then please send the text to:

From: [log in to unmask]

ART AND BIOMEDICINE -- BEYOND THE BODY

An interdisciplinary one-day conference about creative visual practices
at the frontiers of biomedicine, convened by the Medical Museion,
University of Copenhagen, in partnership with The Schools of Visual
Arts, The Royal Danish Academy of Fine Arts.

Monday 3 September, 2007, 10 am - 5 pm
The Royal Danish Academy of Fine Arts
Kongens Nytorv 1
Copenhagen

Speakers and Programme:

10:00  Introduction

*Mikkel Bogh*, The Schools of Visual Arts, The Royal Danish Art Academy
of Fine Arts, Copenhagen, and *Thomas Soderqvist*, Medical Museion,
University of Copenhagen.

10:20   Session 1 (Chair, *Martha Fleming*, National Endowment for
Science, Technology and the Arts).

*Ingeborg Reichle* (Berlin-Brandenburg Academy of Sciences and
Humanities; www.kunstgeschichte.de/reichle): "Larger Than Life: The Use
of Living Organisms in Contemporary Art".
Abstract: In the last two decades we have seen a number of artists who
left the traditional artistic playground to work instead in scientific
contexts, like the laboratories of molecular biologists. In my paper I
will critically explore new art forms like "Transgenic Art" or "Bioart"
and show how this new art forms both dramatically differs from artworks
which explore art and genetics through the use of traditional media. The
use of biological materials and living organisms by artists ranges from
tissue engineering to stem-cell technologies and even transgenic
animals, a phenomenon that raises ethical questions with regard to both
scientific and artistic endeavours. Today artists create new "life
forms", new transgenic bodies/organisms which are more or less
"biofacts" rather than "natural" organisms, but with the production of
new organisms through art, it seems that artists again challenge the
reception of what is art and what is nature.

*Wolfgang Knapp* (Art in Context, University of the Arts, Berlin;
(www.kunstimkontext.udk-berlin.de/lehrende/knapp/knapp.html): "Artists
as Research Scientists; Science as Art? Interdisciplinary Approaches".
Abstract: Producing images is no longer uniquely the privilege of
artists and media professionals.  More and more science-based images
appear on the art market. Artists intensify their studies of scientific
methods.  Local and international research centres contact artists more
and more often, wanting to develop and present exhibitions on their
professional scientific work to a public audience.  On both sides, are
we seeing new professional sensitivities -- and irritations --
developing inside traditional academic working strategies?  Within this
focus, I will discuss individual art practices and interdisciplinary
collaboration between the arts and sciences such as biomedicine.

*Steve Kurtz* (SUNY Buffalo and Critical Art Ensemble;
(www.critical-art.net): "Point of Intervention".
Abstract: This lecture is a brief overview of the points where applied
life sciences, politics, economy, and cultural representations begin to
intersect. On the one hand, it will examine the economic and political
pressures that push life science research in one direction at the
expense of another, and the rhetorics used to justify these trajectories
of research. On the other hand, it will also consider the release of
derivative products into the public sphere, and how the public is
socialized to accept them. These two moments, in which the cultural
context for research initiatives or biotechnological products is in the
first stage of construction, are the points of intervention where
cultural activists can have the greatest impact. This presentation will
be illustrated by participatory science-theater projects by Critical Art
Ensemble.

(During the lunch break the Critical Art Ensemble's film "Marching
Plague" will be shown in the hall).

13:30  Session 2 (Chair, *Martha Fleming*, National Endowment for
Science, Technology and the Arts).

*Richard Wingate* (MRC Centre for Developmental Neurobiology, King's
College, London;
(www.kcl.ac.uk/depsta/biomedical/mrc/index.php?page=http://www.kcl.ac.uk/depsta/biomedical/mrc/Researcher.php?PersonID=19):
"Exchange and (Sci)Art: What Art Tells Science About How Science Sees
the Brain".
Abstract:  Over recent years Science-Art collaborations have progressed
from being merely "art on the theme of science" to, at their best, a
genuine exchange
of ideas between historically divergent disciplines. But what is the
nature of this exchange from a scientist's point of view and is there a
"utilitarian" value in such interactions for Science? From one
perspective, art collaborations may seem to have role primarily in
demystifying, beautifying or celebrating scientific achievement.
However, the confrontation between these two disciplines - the friction
between the ways of envisioning nature - is also a productive, useful
and reflective venture for Science itself. It is a process that allows
Science to examine its own assumptions about its relationship to a
broader culture and how this
influences the way it observes, records and represents the world. A
little short of a manifesto for Sci-Art and certainly not an in depth
analysis of the process, I hope to at least give a perspective on my own
experiences within this arena in understanding the representation of one
of the most historically elusive and spectacular biological structures,
the brain cell.

*Ben Fry* (MIT Media Lab, Boston; (http://acg.media.mit.edu/people/fry):
"Computational Information Design and Genomic Cartography".
Abstract:  The ability to collect and store data continues to increase,
but our ability to understand it remains unchanged. In an attempt to
gain better understanding of data, fields such as information
visualization, data mining and graphic design are employed, each solving
an isolated part of the specific problem, but failing in a broader
sense: there are too many unsolved problems in the visualization of
complex data. As a solution, I propose that the individual fields be
brought together as part of a single process that I call Computational
Information Design. I'll be showing examples of work developed as part
of my Ph.D. dissertation, and as a researcher at the Eli & Edythe Broad
Institute of MIT & Harvard addressing the visualization of genetic data.

*Ken Arnold* (Wellcome Collection, Wellcome Trust, London;
(www.wellcome.ac.uk/node6510.html): "Drawing on Science: Medicine, Art
and Life at Wellcome Collection".
Abstract: My perspective on the intersections between art and
biomedicine is inevitably based on my recent experience of overseeing
the establishment of a new type of venue in the heart of London, where
many views and perspectives from medicine, from art and from the rest of
life are freely mixed. Wellcome Collection hosts a kaleidoscope of
voices, but two of the loudest are inevitably art and biomedicine. This
talk will explore our efforts to give each enough freedom to 'be
themselves', but also our aspiration for the art and the science to work
equally as evidence and as samples (specimens even). Confounding one of
the deadening clichés of contemporary culture, these are galleries where
art is as likely to engage the intellect as the emotions and where
science can elicit as much wonder as explanatory understanding.

16:00  Keynote (Chair, *Martha Fleming*, National Endowment for Science,
Technology and the Arts).

*James Elkins* (Department of Art History, Theory, and Criticism of the
Art Institute of Chicago; (http://www.jameselkins.com): "Some Languages
of Medical Semiotics: Thinking of Non-art Images Discursively".
Abstract: This is a provisional survey of the ways that bioart can be
incorporated into current discourses. I'll look, briefly, at the general
problem of discourse at the border between art and science (using
Eduardo Kac as an example), and then at a series of possibilities: (1)
historians writing in science venues (Wieczorek, Kemp), (2) artists
working with scientists (Frankel), and (3) the new field of image
studies (Manghani, Simons). And last, I'll propose a way forward, paying
attention to individual "languages" of image and object production,
among which medical semiotics is arguably the most complex and
epistemologically challenging.

The one-day conference is preceeded by a closed workshop on "Biomedicine
and Aesthetics in a Museum Context", Thursday 30 August - Saturday 1
September. See further:
www.ku.dk/satsning/Biocampus/artandbiomedicine/workshop.htm

On Sunday 2 September sound artist Jacob Kirkegaard is presenting a new
work which will focus on the problematic arising in the conference and
workshop. Jacob Kirkegaard has turned his listening ear inwards - to his
own ear - and by using specially developed listening equipment, he has
captured the microactivity which the hair cells of the ear broadcasts.
There will be three performances, at 6 pm, 8 pm and 10 pm. For further
information, see
www.ku.dk/satsning/Biocampus/artandbiomedicine/sound_event_english.htm

Organiser:
Medical Museion, a combined research unit and museum with extensive
medical historical collections (www.museion.ku.dk and
www.corporeality.net/museion), focusing on the material and iconographic
culture of contemporary biomedicine.

Organising committee:
Martha Fleming ([log in to unmask]), Jan Eric Olsén
([log in to unmask]) and Thomas Soderqvist ([log in to unmask]).

Sponsors:
The Novo Nordisk Foundation (http://www.novonordiskfonden.dk) and
BioCampus at University of Copenhagen (http://www.ku.dk/satsning/biocampus).

For further details, see:
www.ku.dk/satsning/biocampus/artandbiomedicine/index.asp

1. For general enquires or problems with the list or to CHANGE YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS send a message to:
2. To suspend yourself from the list, whilst on leave, for example,
send an email to [log in to unmask] with the following message:
set medsocnews nomail
3. To resume email from the list, send the following message:
set medsocnews mail
4. To leave MedSocNews, send an email to [log in to unmask] with the message (leave the subject line blank and do not include a signature):
leave medsocnews
5. To join or subscribe to MedSocNews, send an email to [log in to unmask] with the message (leave the subject line blank and do not include a signature):
SUBSCRIBE medsocnews firstname lastname
6. Further information about the medsocnews discussion list (including
list archive and how to subscribe to or leave the list) can be found
at the list web site:
http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/medsocnews.html