The reader edited by Alcuin Blamires, "Women Defended and Women Defamed," is a case-in-point of the varieties of attitudes circulating about women, from the misogynistic to the laudatory. From what I still remember of the book, being assigned it as one core secondary text back in undergraduate days as a kind of primer to Chaucer's Wife of Bath's Tale, the book is a good collection of primary sources in translation about this issue of medieval attitudes to women.  It might not directly have anything to do with the idea of 'wise women' though.

Kevin Jang

--- Madeleine Gray <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> medieval-religion: Scholarly discussions of medieval religion and
> culture
>
> A bit off topic but it is summer after all ...
> One of my students wants to do a dissertation on the debate over the
> nature of 'wise women' in the middle ages. This is a subject I have
> always left severely alone! Can anyone recommend some sound starter
> reading for her? I've suggested Gendering the master narrative
> <http://my.newport.ac.uk/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://my.newport.ac.uk/wzgw?id=070727ebd91e439894bde596a6aa1ab2b41dac%26field=ti%26terms=Gendering%20the%20master%20narrative>
>  : women and power in the Middle Ages / edited by Mary C. Erler and
> Maryanne Kowaleski.
> and The prime of their lives
> <http://my.newport.ac.uk/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://my.newport.ac.uk/wzgw?id=070727ebd91e439894bde596a6aa1ab2b41dac%26field=ti%26terms=The%20prime%20of%20their%20lives>
>  : wise old women in pre-industrial Europe / Anneke B. Mulder-Bakker
> and Renée Nip.
> (both of which I found on COPAC)
>
> Cheers
>
> Maddy
>
> Dr Madeleine Gray
> Head of History
> School of Education/Ysgol Addysg
> University of Wales, Newport/Prifysgol Cymru, Casnewydd
> Caerleon Campus/Campws Caerllion, PO /Blwch Post 179
> Newport/Casnewydd  NP18 3YG Tel: +44 (0)1633.432675
>
> 'You may not be able to change the world but at least you can
> embarrass the guilty'
> (Jessica Mitford)
> -religion.html

> To join the list, send the message: join medieval-religion YOUR
> NAME
> to: [log in to unmask]
> to: [log in to unmask]
> In order to report problems or to contact the list's owners, write
> to:

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]