My student says:

		>The figures for Giles and Mary M. show similar patterns to those of Leonard, as

		Of the 28 hospitals dedicated to St. Giles, for which there is evidence of the type of patients admitted, 18 (64%) were for lepers. Again there may be an argument for a lesser association of the saint with lepers in the hospitals of the north-east, where only 3 of the 7 (43%) institutions were leprosaria, compared to 15 of 21 (71%) in the rest of England.

		Of the 85 hospitals in England dedicated to St. Mary M., for which there is evidence of the type of patients admitted, 64 (75%) were for lepers. In the north-east only 14 of the 24 (58%) hospitals were leprosaria, compared to 50 of 61 (82%) in the rest of England.

		Another saint commonly assoicated with leper hospitals in England was Laurence, with 11 of the 15 (73%)hospitals being leprosaria (only 1 of the 3 in the north-east was a leper hospital).

It's a very useful project which Graham might like to take on board: a database of all identifiable hospital foundations in Britain which enables us to map things like regionality and chronological change in eg dedicaion patterns, type of foundation, type  of founder, etc.

Maddy

Dr Madeleine Gray
Head of History
School of Education/Ysgol Addysg
University of Wales, Newport/Prifysgol Cymru, Casnewydd
Caerleon Campus/Campws Caerllion, PO /Blwch Post 179
Newport/Casnewydd  NP18 3YG Tel: +44 (0)1633.432675

'You may not be able to change the world but at least you can embarrass the guilty'
(Jessica Mitford)