*** Please Circulate Freely - Apologies for Crossposting ***

CFP: Kalamazoo 2008 - The Akedah in Medieval Monotheism

The akedah (Genesis 22: 1-19) is a foundational text for the three
great Abrahamic religions (Judaism, Christianity, and Islam), though
each religion differs in its interpretation of the text and its
meaning.

Each religious tradition has a rich history of interpreting the
Genesis passage and appropriating that interpretation theologically,
socially, and politically as well as poetically, artistically, and
dramatically. Simultaneously, the akedah has proven to be a rich
source of contemporary philosophical and theoretical reflection,
particularly in regard to issues of violence and ethics (Soren
Kierkegaard and Emmanuel Levinas come immediately to mind).

I invite essays dealing with the theological and exegetical complexity
of this seminal text in the three great Abrahamic religions as well as
theoretically-inflected papers interpreting the akedah in poetry,
drama, and the visual arts for the 2008 Medieval Congress at
Kalamazoo.

The deadline for submissions is 15 September 2007.  For details please
see:

     http://www.wmich.edu/medieval/congress/submissions.html#ACS

The standard parameters for page and presentation length apply: three
20-minute papers or four 15-minute papers. If there sufficient
interest and quality of proposals, I will also consider a panel of
five 10-minute papers with a respondent, opening then into a wider
discussion.

Please send your one page abstract and a brief cv to me at
<[log in to unmask]> by 15 September 2007. I'll happily address any
questions you might have ahead of time.

Best from Anchorage,

Dan
Daniel T. Kline, Ph.D.