Me again!  If you're trying to raise awareness of your catalogue, Frankie's suggestion of a group would work well.  Membership of a group is listed on an individuals profile and becomes part of their personal 'brand' but I've noticed that participation often goes no deeper than joining a group.

I think it's important to understand exactly what your organisation is trying to achieve by participating in a social networking site, partly to ensure measurable goals and partly so you can take a step back and think critically about how best to achieve those goals.  Marketing on social network sites seems difficult to get right and my gut feeling is that as institutions we should consider making resources usable on social networking sites rather than trying to be 'down with the kids' ourselves.

Finally, some of this article on fundraising might be relevant: http://www.bivingsreport.com/2007/facebook-applications/, particularly, "I think the key here is that becoming a member of a group or cause on Facebook is really easy and requires limited to no action.  This membership is, in most cases, merely a stamp on someone's profile that helps connect users to other like-minded people".

cheers, Mia

Mia Ridge
Database Developer, Museum Systems Team
Museum of London Group