This is a fascinating enquiry. Andy Sawyer's post highlighted the great project that Debbie Richards and co conjured up in Leicester, detailed in a readable account in the last but one MCG newsletter in case study form, as well as that powerpoint Andy linked us to.

However, it's worth pointing out, I think, that we may need to update our expectations and business models about image sale and re-use in the light of the rise in use of image searching facilities by search engines like Google.

Surely Google image search has distorted the economic models we had previously developed to make the case for sale of such digital items online? Also, what influence do socially-minded IPR management systems (or non-management systems) like Creative Commons have on the economics of selling imagery online?

While funders (understandably) expect us to be thinking in terms of developing new business models for cultural activity, web advances move the economic goalposts all the time...

Jon

Jon Pratty
Editor

01273 623336 (direct)
01273 623266 (main office number)
07739 287392 (mobile)

The 24 Hour Museum
Your best guide to museums, galleries, arts and heritage
www.24hourmuseum.org.uk

www.show.me.uk - great stuff for kids from UK museums and galleries

Office 4
28 Kensington Street
Brighton
BN1 4AJ

Winner, Best of the Web award, Museums and the Web 2004
New Statesman New Media Awards 2002, 2005