Hello

I have just joined the list, so if you think this is an inappropriate forum for my query or can suggest a more suitable list please let me know.

My question regards series entries.

Our catalogue has a fair sprinkling of 810 fields, where the series title is generic, e.g.:-

SERIES           8102# International Monetary Fund.|tOccasional paper ;|v116.

Rather than

SERIES            830#0 Occasional paper (International Monetary Fund) ;|v116.

This means that if a patron searches for ‘Occasional paper’ that's all  that appears in the browse list with no clarification - unless there is an author in a 1XX field. For this reason, I am thinking of

converting our 810s to 830s (whilst also ensuring there is a corresponding 710 field  in the record).

I am interested to know how other institutions approach this problem. I would be grateful if anyone would tell me, if their catalogue:-

Uses a mixture of records, some using 810s only, some using 830s only (and if so, does this mean that series entries for items in the same series sometimes appear in 2 different places in an index)

Uses 830s only (i.e. 810 is not used)

Uses records which have both an 810 and a 830 in the same record.

Please email any answers direct to me at  [log in to unmask]

Many thanks

Kirsty Carr

Kirsty Carr

University Library