 "We've been enlightened enough for 150 years to understand that.
What's
 changed?"

The total political climate surrounding and effecting libraries that's
what's changed.
Todays public libraries exist within very complex and diverse
socio-economic constructs ie local authorities. Our priorities are
shaped by internal and external political agendas often completely
outside of our control or influence. I have worked in a variety of
libraries controlled by different political parties who have given very
different steers on how policy should progress. Coupled with that
libraries are often moved internally between different directorates
(Education, Leisure, Adult Services, Community Services etc etc) Again
our priorities are regularly amended to fit into the new structure.
Libraries today just do not exist as separate philosophical entities
(if they ever did). I may not agree with this but that is the hard
reality.

David Tanner

Unless otherwise stated, opinions, conclusions and other information
 expressed in this message are personal and not those of North
Yorkshire County
Council

>>> On 20/07/2007 at 4:34 pm, in message
David
McMenemy <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Why does it HAVE to be the destination of choice?  Why do you assume
that
> library issues are decreasing because we are doing something wrong?
I'm
> afraid I'm with Archibald MacLeish when he says:
>
> "What is more important in a library than anything else - than
everything
> else - is the fact that it exists."
>

>> Are issues the bee all and end all of what a 21st century library is
all
>> about
>>
>> The competition out there for reading material is quite severe, it
is
>> easy to go else where. How are we going to make libraries the
>> destination of choice?
>>
>> Library staff have had the decisions for 150 years, and we are where
we
>> are?

Tyneside
>> Council
>>

>> This email has been scanned for viruses and inappropriate content
by
>> Clearswift MIMEsweeper service. North Tyneside Council does not
>> guarantee this email to be free of any viruses. It is the
responsibility
>> of the recipient to ensure that this message and any attachments
are
>> virus free.

WARNING

This E-mail and any attachments may contain information that is confidential or privileged, and is intended solely for the use of the named recipient. If you are not the intended recipient, please be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or any action taken is prohibited and may be unlawful.

Any opinions expressed are those of the author and not necessarily the view of the Council.

North Yorkshire County Council.