Good morning,

We're looking at how much we can reasonably charge our service users for articles obtained for the via library privilege, such as from the BMA, British Library or university libraries within the NULJ scheme.

The Copyright act states that:

persons to whom copies are supplied are required to pay for them a sum not less than the cost (including a contribution to the general expenses of the library) attributable to their production

I'm interested to know how other NHS libraries interpret this.  Do you consider the "cost attributable to their production" to be the invoice charge which the supplying library made to your library service, or do you charge less or more than this?

Also, following the e-mails last week about a JISCmail based ILL mailing list, are we any further forward?  Charging individuals upwards of £7 for each BL request is going to be seriously unpopular here, if that's what it turns out we have to do, so any way of obtaining more of our requests from NHS, rather than Library Privilege, sources would help us to reduce the sting where possible.

Thanks,

Jane

Jane Mansfield

Operations Librarian
Professional Library
Lincoln County Hospital

01522 573940

The contents of this email are not necessarily the policy or opinion of United Lincolnshire Hospitals Trust or any person employed by it. This transmission is intended only for the named recipient(s) and is confidential in nature. If received in error, please return it to the sender and destroy any copies immediately.