Derek

You're right on the basic do's and don'ts.  Don't forget also with
e-resources that most providers restrict the amount that can be
downloaded at any one time, even to read on screen.  'Systematic
downloading' is generally not allowed.

On coursepacks and ILL we would always check the licence terms and if
necessary discuss further with the publisher concerned.

I'm not sure what you mean about authentication as any authorised user
of the product should either have access to the password or be logged in
to a PC within the institutional IP network.  Unless they are walk-in
users within the Library, where allowed ... But these are not copyright
issues per se.

#If an authorised end-user does not have access to the Internet (or
don't have access to their password details) but is in need of an
article at that moment are you able to email/post them an electronic
copy of this article?

If you can find confirmation they are a current staff or student member
and the resource concerned has no restrictions on where it can be
accessed (i.e. where it is not restricted to on-campus only) I'd say
yes, but only in exceptional circumstances.

#When dealing with aggregators and therefore a number of potential
publishers (who perhaps operate beyond your own countries law) due you
just implement the terms and conditions of that publisher?

We keep records of the different licence terms of each publisher
regardless of where we access their resources.

#Is there a general rule on how many copies of an article, book chapter
you can make available to other authorised users?

We stick to single copies unless coursepacks and handouts are explicitly
allowed.  Generally we follow the JISC guidelines on fair dealing for
e-publications, which was put together in the 1990s, and that is the
advice we pass on to our authorised users.

Hope that helps
Louise

Louise Cole
Electronic Resources Team Leader