As a small NHS library in the UK the withdrawal of Web Editions has
caused hideous problems for us - it's now July and we have been without
access to our electronic journals via Elsevier for half the year now.
You can imagine the level of exasperation.

We have communicated the fact both to our subscription agent and to
Elsevier, several times. The difficulties have been compounded by the
fact that the people who deal with Athens access at Elsevier now appear
to be located in Singapore and are extremely ignorant of how IP address
access works in the UK, particularly in the NHS. They also seem
completely bemused by the fact that a hospital in the UK is not an
American-style-on-one-site-multi-skyscraper but is often a random
assortment of buildings spread out over more than one site!  And as for
Athens access, well, I might as well be speaking ancient Ainu as the
Athens access simpley doesn't work.

Elsevier are not the only offender in this respect but they are the
largest, and it would be nice to think they could be a role model.  The
current excuse is that publishers are "busy with current subscriptions"
but it is now almost the end of June, meaning we have been without
online access to some of these journals for almost half our subscription
now despite repeated emails and attempts to speak to a human being.
Perhaps some day publishers will offer pro rata refunds for this level
of inconvenience!! (Or do we need to have a 7 figure budget  to get them
to talk to us?!)

And to think, once, many years ago, I used to think working in
publishing would be a viable career choice... Are we the ONLY NHS
library in this position?

Paula Younger
Electronic Resources Librarian
Exeter Health Library
1st Floor, Peninsula Medical School Building Royal Devon and Exeter NHS
Foundation Trust Barrack Road Exeter
EX2 5DW

Tel: 01392 406729