Dear colleagues,

Thank you to everybody who responded to my query regarding hosting PDF
files locally. The majority of respondents said that they hosted similar
files locally on their web pages. Other suggestions included using an
institutional repository, or having files hosted externally using free
file space provided by various companies (such as Refworks and Ingenta,
Ebrary will also developing this service in the future).

I think we're going to go with the web option for now, as we only have a
small number of files.

Thanks again to everyone who responded.

Best wishes,

Kate Newell
Hi,

We will soon be acquiring some PDF documents (e.g. some journal issues
from a small publisher) which will need to be hosted online locally (the
terms have been agreed with the publisher). The best short-term solution
I've come up with is to host these on a web page, behind an authenticated
login screen, so that only members of our University can access them.
However, this is not ideal in the long run.

I was wondering if anyone else has experienced the same issue, and if so,
how they have resolved it? Any advice would be greatly appreciated, I will
summarise responses for the list.

Many thanks,

Kate Newell
Acting Electronic Resources Librarian