On 20 Jul 2007, at 12:56, MacLeod, Roderick A wrote:

This list is interested in the repository haystack, and we all want to
make the repository haystack visible.  However, is there evidence that
that haystack is of any more interest to typical searchers than other
haystacks?

Are all the haystacks Googleable? Do they all exhibit the same behaviour as the Repository haystacks?

PerX findings http://www.icbl.hw.ac.uk/perx/analysis.htm#needs suggest
not, for one sector at least.

The suggestion to which you refer ("Repositories per se are therefore unlikely to become as important in engineering as they have become, or may become, in some other disciplines")  is disclaimed in the report  "It is important to note that the studies mentioned above refer for the most part to the information and communication needs of engineers of all types, and not just engineers within academia." I would not expect repositories of research outputs to satisfy the needs of those who are not researchers - but I would hope that they would satisfy the *research needs* of those who are.
--
les