Well done York Uni! I breathe a sigh of relief!

The next stage is now to work out how we get the relevant info into the
HER - and as we are hoping to meet up with York uni in the not too
distant future to discuss things like this, then hopefully we can work
that out.

That said, this is obviously an issue that affects all the HER's,and
Catherine's point about contact with other non-local universities
researching in your patch is an issue.

So the question is - what mechanism is there for us to try and talk to
Universities as a group to discuss these issue and work out solutions?
Is there a mechanism?

Stage Prompt : Open Mike session

best wishes

Nick Boldrini
Historic Environment Record Officer
Heritage and Environment Section
Development and Countryside Service
Business and Environmental Services Directorate
North Yorkshire County Council
County Hall
Northallerton
DL7 8AH
Direct Dial (01609) 532331

Conserving North Yorkshire's heritage - encouraging sustainable access
www.northyorks.gov.uk/archaeology

This email is personal. It is not authorised by or sent on behalf of
North Yorkshire
County Council, however, the Council has the right and does inspect
emails sent from
and to its computer system. This email is the sole responsibility of
the sender

>>> Catherine Hardman <[log in to unmask]> 19/07/2007 09:50 >>>
Dear All,

I've been reading the thread with interest and couldn't let my prompt
go
without rushing on to the stage!

I can't speak for other universities, but here at York, all MA's are
deposited in the university library, all undergrad work kept by the
department and all PhD's deposited both in the Uni Library and BLL. For
PhDs
there is also a useful resource to look up abstracts/authors which may
be of
use to HERs looking for postgrad work done on their area. See
http://www.theses.com/ , at least you may be able to see what has been
done
and get an idea of where the information may be found.

In terms of hosting theses, we do host PhDs on archaeology from UK
universities and have circulated information to heads of departments
about
our willingness to do so. Our collection is small but growing and can
be
found at http://ads.ahds.ac.uk/catalogue/library/theses/index.cfm.
There are
a few more waiting to be mounted on the site, they have to take their
turn
as we undertake the work for free. Please do let postgrads (PhDs only)
know
of this service as appropriate.

We do not as a rule host MA or undergrad dissertations - we would run
the
risk of being entirely swamped by the numbers produced each year.

As far as fieldwork research within universities goes (whilst
hesitating to
open another can-o-worms) we have encouraged university academics to
use the
OASIS system to record UK field work. Hopefully this encouragement,
even if
they chose not to use the system, may lodge in their minds the need to
inform the local HER of their fieldwork and lodge results/reports with
them
by some other means. I think one of the problems with getting academics
do this is the frequent changes in heads on department, a role the
usually
circulates  around staff every 3 years or so, and therefore a pint of
contact may change frequently. Also academics from a local university
may
not undertake fieldwork in the local area (especially with the lure of
summer in the Med!). So even if a HER gets in touch with their local
uni
department then they may not get to know about work happening in their
area
by a university from the other end of the country. However, you may
like to
try using OGAR http://www.britarch.ac.uk/ogar/, I'm not sure how
comprehensive it is, or if there are any plans to continue it/update
it
(enter the CBA stage left?)

Best wishes

Catherine

Catherine Hardman

WARNING

This E-mail and any attachments may contain information that is confidential or privileged, and is intended solely for the use of the named recipient. If you are not the intended recipient, please be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or any action taken is prohibited and may be unlawful.

Any opinions expressed are those of the author and not necessarily the view of the Council.

North Yorkshire County Council.