GEM Digest - 27 Jul 2007 to 30 Jul 2007 (#2007-179)

Re: Comic Sans.  Whilst being legible, it’s name suggests what this font should be used for  - Comics.  Although very popular I would advocate against using it as it’s has childlike and ‘village fete newsletter’ associations – together with WordArt and ClipArt.  A good clear san serif font should do fine.  Most people will have Arial on their machines but you could also use the Helvetia font if you have Apple Mac’s.  Also, there are a number of fonts people can purchase at affordable price on the web – or ask your designers.

I understand the problem, 12pt is clear but is not the most useful size regarding designing materials – it’s just  a little too big.  I would also consider what you are producing, how much text you need on the page, and who the target audience is.  You may also like to consider other accessible options, such as producing large size versions in pdfs instead of print versions, and audio versions (Acrobat can read pdf’s but the default voice in Microsoft is horrible).

Paddy

Paddy McNulty

Workforce Development Co-ordinator

Direct line: 020 7549 1711

Main line: 020 7549 1700

Fax: 020 7490 5225

www.mlalondon.org.uk

MLA London,

Fourth Floor,

53-56 Great Sutton Street,

London EC1V 0DG

P please consider the environment - do you really need to print this email?

GEM Digest - 27 Jul 2007 to 30 Jul 2007 (#2007-179)

Table of contents:

  1. Point size for education literature
  2. GEM web ad - Learning Officer
  3. FREE HUB RESOURCES: AIMED AT SECONDARY TEACHER TRAINEES
  4. Tudor Replicas
  5. Free admission for young people
  6. Local Artists Exhibition