Hello,

Since 1996, Portsmouth City Museum has hosted an exhibition of local artists work - people are invited to submit up to 2 pieces of art each under a variety of categories (variety of media accepted - includes craft). A panel of judges look at all the entries and decide what should go on show - they then look at the final exhibition and award prizes (cash). The exhibition is on for a period of about 6 weeks.

We are currently reviewing whether we should continue with this exhibition in future years and asking ourselves the following questions.

*	Who does the exhibition benefit, who is it for? (how fits with audience development aspirations)
*	How do we ensure that artist across the City know about it? (postcodes for artists? Visitor figures?)
*	Do such exhibitions belong in the Community?
*	How does it fit with the regional offer?
*	Are there alternative approaches?

Do any of you work for a museum that hosts a similar style of exhibition of local artists work? That information is useful in itself - but if you could tell me anything about the rationale behind you offering this exhibition that would be great.

If you know of a similar style of exhibition run by other organisations - perhaps community organisations, that's useful too.

I'll happily collate any responses and return them to the list.

Thanks

Bryony

> 		Bryony Kelly
> 		Education Officer
> 		Museums and Records Service
> 		City Museum and Records Office
> 		Museum Road
> 		Portsmouth
> 		PO1 2LJ
> 		Tel: (023) 9282 7261
> 		Fax: (023) 9287 5276
> 		mailto:[log in to unmask]
> 		www.portsmouthmuseums.co.uk

This email is for the intended recipient only.
If an addressing, transmission or other error
has misdirected this email, please notify the
author by replying to this email.
If you are not the intended recipient you must
not use, disclose, distribute, copy or print it.

This email may be monitored, read, recorded
and/or retained by Portsmouth City Council.
Email monitoring/blocking software may be used.