Hello,

I have a question about how to model a parametric design with some
specific characteristics.

In a rapid event related design, we are presenting sentences that
have been independently associated with semantic ratings. The stimuli
can be grouped into low, medium and high stimuli (where the low
condition is really the absence of the semantic feature and the other
two are of medium and high intensity). Hopefully, only areas that are
associated with the specific semantic feature investigated here
should be sensitive to the manipulation. These are the areas that we
are trying to identify.

We have modeled our pilot data from a few subjects in three different
ways. I thought that these ways of looking at the data should turn
out to be fairly similar, but I am puzzled now by some differences
that we got.

In the first analysis, we created three custom files with three EVs
(low, medium high), putting the semantic ratings as weights (the
ratings are in a scale from 1 to 7). Then we computed the contrast
[-1 0 +1], to capture the linear trend, as well as other contrasts
such as [0 -1 1], [-1 1 0].

In the second analysis, we created similar custom files but this time
we assign a weight of 1 to each of the EVs (low medium high). Then
again we calculated the contrasts as above.

In the third analysis, we demeaned the ratings (subtracting the
overall mean rating from each individual rating) and put them on
three EVs as above. This time, the “low” condition has negative
values, the medium has values around 0 and the high has values around 1.

  The first two analyses look fairly similar, say, for the first
contrast [-1 0 +1]. There are some difference in the size of the
activated areas but a lot of overlap (as I expected). However,
demeaning the ratings gives us something completely different (and
not entirely meaningful, like lost of activity in the cerebellum) and
I am not quite sure why this is. Are we applying the wrong logic?

Thanks

Silvia