Hi,

I have a question about correcting for motion in resting-state fmri data.

We collect 180 volumes (TR=2s) of fmri data during a resting-state. The
data is first processed using the pre-stats tab under FEAT. The parameters
we use are:

Motion Correction (mcflirt)
B0 unwarping
Slice-timing correction
Bet brain extraction
Spatial smoothing FWHM = 6 mm
Intensity Normalisation
Highpass temporal filtering

plus, Melodic

Here's the problem: MCFLIRT seems to do a good job when there is gradual
movement over the course of the scan. However, if there is a sudden
movement (say, the subject coughed or jerked their arm), MCLFIRT does not
seem to be able to correct it. To make matters worse, there are often
motion spikes that show up in the timecourse of non-motion components.

We've tried filtering out some of the worst melodic components, but that
doesn't seem to effect components that have been (for lack of a better
term) corrupted by motion. The best results we've had have been from
splitting the 4D volume, removing the volumes with the most motion and
merging the remaining volumes back together. Even though we don't have a
block design, I'm still wary of doing this, especially if there is a
better way.

Here's my question: Is there any way to do a more robust elimination of
motion, other than the parameters I've mentioned above? Also, should
deleting volumes be avoided at all costs or is it okay to remove a few
with bad motion?

Thanks.
-Pete