Hi,

Yes - sigloss is not the most accurate estimate of signal loss as it
only accounts for
the through-slice component of the signal loss, and does this assuming a
perfect
slice profile.  The main use it has in FSL is to provide some simple
deweighting
in the FUGUE steps within FEAT.  For this we threshold on the signal
loss image
in a conservative way so that we are relatively sure of ignoring areas
for registration
purposes where the signal loss is substantial.

I'd be interested to know what use you put sigloss to.

All the best,
    Mark