On 7/26/07, Steve Smith <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Hi Sophie, yes you're probably right that 2x3 isn't quite the same as
> 3x2, although presumably the difference really only comes down to
> which set of options you want to describe different factors and
> levels as fixed or random (see for example the table at the bottom of
> http://www.fmrib.ox.ac.uk/fsl/feat5/detail.html#ANOVA3factors2levels ).

Hello Steve

And thank you for replying to my question. I am sorry however, but
I must disagree with you! As I understand it a 2 factor by 3 level design
(2x3) is *very* different from a 3 factor by 2 level design (3x2). The
former
involves 6 unique conditions, the latter 8 (2x2x2). Hence, no simple
rearrangement or relabelling from fixed to random can map 6 to 8
dimensions. More particularly, for a FEAT setup, the latter can be
modelled by binary classications in the structure of the FEAT design
matrix, making it easy to do intra-level comparisons. The former cannot,
as it is it necessary to do separate events for each level.

> I'm afraid that the number of possibilities for ANOVA designs is
> endless so we can't provide examples for all of them!

Of course I must sympathise with your positition! But I am so very
stuck at the moment as I just cannot get my head around this. I just
do not see how to make the design matrix for such a higher order model.
I guess from the later post of at least one other person (Kristofer Kinsey)
I am not alone!

So rather than asking for all possible examples, please please please
could you provide ONE example of a higher order ANOVA where there
is more than 1 factor (e.g. 2) and these factors are at more than 2 levels
(e.g. 3)? I think the simplest example of this is the 2x3 design (and yes
I know this is what I originally asked for but feel free to give a better
example if it is more helpful)...

merci

Sophie