Dear Friend:

I'm wondering if my following understanding of mean image is correct.

Assume I have two subjects, and there are A, B, C three points in adjacent
brain areas. B is between A and C.  If one subject show activation in A and
deactivation in C, while the other subject shows activation in C and
deactivation in A, the mean image of the two subjects may show neither
activation nor deactivation.

If one subject show highest activation in A, less activation in B, and no
activation in C, and the other subject show highest activation in C, less
activation in B, and no activation in A.  The mean image may show activation
in B but not in A and C.

Any comments are appreciated

Jiansong