On 7/23/07, Christian Beckmann <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I'll give it a try.

Many thanks! I think I now (almost) understand.
Apart from one point:

> Therefore, any signal change detected under condition A is equal
> to a+b (that's the total 'height' modelled).

Ok, so this is the logic step I find hard to understand.

I can see that EV1 (a) and EV2 (b) are not orthogonal in the design matrix.
Hence that EV1 can't be just (A-B). And that you therefore need to refactor
the EVs to recover the 'real' A-B contrast.

I guess where I am unclear is how one knows to equate condition A
(and exactly A not 2A or 2A-B-C etc) with the total height (a+b) of the
model.
It looks like one needs some extra knowledge about how the higher level
design
matrix is processed? Is it simply that condition A is set as +1 in the EVs
(but
then do not the -1 values for conditions B and C contribute to the scaled
height
of the model)?

Perhaps it is that I do not understand well enough how the (higher order)
design matrices
are processed in FSL. If there is a good reference source for this, please
point me
in the right direction!

kind regards

Sophie