Dear Joerg,

If it's of any help regarding image rotation, I wrote a perl script that rotates dti gradient directions, since the gradient table is with respect to the scanner coordinate system while our images are aligned along the ac/pc plane. I then transform the dti gradient table accordingly before creating the appropriate bvecs file for each subject.

My script uses medcon to parse the dicom header, obtains the direction cosines, then modifies the dti gradient table accordingly. Although the script was written for dti gradient tables, it could be adapted to create 4x4 rotation matrices.

I'm glad to make the script available. However, I agree with Mark Jenkinson about exercising great caution in regards to file format and conversion from one format to another, since a small oversight can lead to a completely wrong dataset. I know from experience.

Robert Terwilliger