"Or, do you think that 'empirical verification' of a cut on a strip of
film does not 'rely heavily' on the 'perceptual detection' of a person doing
the 'verification'?"

It might rely on perception in some instances (I'm leaving
animation/digital out of this) in this discussion (on
"films/adverts/music video's etc where only one shot is used") where
there is a question over whether a given film was really achieved in
one shot, but not so much in the case of 'Rope', which was being
discussed as a one-shot film when we can say for certain that it
isn't. There *is* a level of fuzzy logic there w/r/t the film 'as we
see it' on DVD, video, etc vs whatever the original of a film might be
said to be (comparable to the discussion of, say, the reproduction oil
paintings in art books?).

re. "The point is to make a conceptual
distinction between the editing as a technical process ('splicing',
'mixing'), and editing as a reception fenomenon."

It would be interesting to see a comparative study of how the film was
received by different audiences, but the cuts in 'Rope' are quite
blatant as well as being well documented, and that's only partly
because the "lack of cuts" is the film's USP.

On 7/13/07, Frank, Michael <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Does this mean that we have to make do with a certain base level of fuzzy
> logic?!
>

> not if we work at being as clear as human language allows about what we're
> referring to . . . there's nothing remarkable about the fact that word cut
> has two different if overlapping referents – the same thing is true of loads
> of other words . . . if we keep this in mind and make sure the one we mean
> is identified there should be no necessary fuzziness

*
*
Film-Philosophy salon
*