You may be interested in a forthcoming conference on film, architecture and urban space - see link below

http://www.liv.ac.uk/abe/cityinfilm/conf2008.html

Aristotelis wrote:
[log in to unmask]" type="cite">Greetings Everyone,
I am new to this service but i enjoy the conversations very much. I am an architecture studient really interested in film theories and I am planning my thesis project on film and architecture. I would be glad if anyone could give me any opinions or bibliography suggestions or any kind of comment concerning this matter. I have browsed the archives and there isnt a prior conversation concerning the connection between architecture and cinema.

This is my subject more or less. Thank you for your time.

The film world is a human creation which has turned into an inseparable piece of our everyday life, whether it is about entertainment, whether it concerns art or whether it is because it defies reality. The film spectator takes the challenge of replacing the memory of his true image and let himself to visual and acoustic stimulations which lead his mind in thoughts and mental states which he would never achieve due to his natural reality. Film is clearly a mental experience, a mind game. The film world exists in between the vision of the creator, the possible interpretations of the spectator and in the way it is being presented from the medium of film. From Eisenstein to Deleuze and from Godard to Arnheim, much have been said during the effort to define that new reality and its’ rules. The facts are that everyday we see its’ results in the constant massive film production, at the movie theatres and in the way we evolve using the new data. The question remains that while a new world is being created architecture still isn’t participating as it should as a creative force except of some partial, personal initiatives.

Main characteristic of the film world is that it’s being designed from scratch and after being constructed it is being let on the hands of the viewer to transform it. It is of special importance the way this new space will be designed in order to be pictured according to chosen restrictions, comes from people with architectural knowledge. But architecture shouldn’t be restrained to that point. It is being noticed that for several years now, materialized buildings are often projected through visualizations of the constructions. The cause of this of course comes of the variety of architectural work and the short time the user might have to notice it. Though many times, spaces are being designed not to be populated by humans but just to be photographed and offer to people those pictures.

While the modern man functions through those images, visualizing architecture is not a mistake. But since film exists, than even if the aim is visualization, it can still be inhabited. A script, a story immediately gears the walls with a plot and the floors with action and whole buildings live. But the most important is the fact that in that way they can communicate better with the spectator, experience those spaces as real and not solely as visualization. Without ever suggesting a replacement of real life or constructed architecture, it is a completion of peoples’ constant need for images with more definitive space presentation. Such a conscious use of architecture design inevitably will force the art of cinema to new paths. Not just a presentation of a story for entertainment but parallel creation of a spatial world, equally interesting to the plot. This conjunction will naturally be successful not when films are created from architects for architects but from cinematographers and concern the majority of the spectators.

Building a website is a piece of cake.
Yahoo! Small Business gives you all the tools to get online. * * Film-Philosophy Email Discussion Salon. After hitting 'reply' please always delete the text of the message you are replying to. To leave, send the message: leave film-philosophy to: [log in to unmask]. Or visit: http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/film-philosophy.html For help email: [log in to unmask], not the salon. * Film-Philosophy journal: http://www.film-philosophy.com Contact: [log in to unmask] **

--
Dr Les Roberts
Research Associate