John, Colleagues, Good Afternoon.

Here at Canterbury, we have introduced a ‘car sharing’ scheme whereby staff taking part in this get some priority in being allocated a parking space on Campus.

We are undergoing a major re-development of the Campus and are down to 121 spaces, which, net of ‘essential user’ and designated disabled and visitor  spaces gives us about 15 spaces to allocate. We have been operating this system for 18 months now with one more year (minimum) to go. If our Phase III bid is approved we continue like this until 2011.

We have introduced a scheme where staff wishing to have a space, enter a ‘lottery-type’ draw at the end of each term, for the following term.

Staff who are car-sharing have priority.

If the number of entries from car-sharers is equal to or exceeds the number of spaces available, then only car share applications would be entered in the draw – i.e. no ‘single occupant’ car users would be entered.

If car share applications are less than the number of spaces available, they are all allocated a space and the single applicants are entered in the draw.

All those obtaining a pass via the draw pay £1.00 per day to park on Campus.

The income from this helps towards costs of a College shuttle-bus which operates between main campus and the Council Park & Ride Car Park.

Staff not successful in the draw are required to make their own arrangements – i.e. cycle, motor-cycle, walk, park on-street (where possible) or use the Park & Ride.

Staff cycling or walking to work may also have free use the College Sports Hall shower facilities when they arrive here.

Kind Regards

George Jeffrey