Greetings, Folks!

I'm happy to draw your attetion to confirmation of my
long-hald belied in the beneficial therapeutic and
prophylatic effects of Caffeine.

Following up a press report this morning led me to
uncover the following on-line summary of an article
shortly to appear in the Proceedings of the National
Academy of Sciences of the USA:

Voluntary exercise together with oral caffeine markedly
stimulates UVB light-induced apoptosis and decreases
tissue fat in SKH-1 mice
Yao-Ping Lu, Bonnie Nolan, You-Rong Lou, Qing-Yun Peng,
George C. Wagner, and Allan H. Conney.

Published online before print July 30, 2007
Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA, 10.1073/pnas.0705839104

http://tinyurl.com/2vcejo

(From the Abstract):
Treatment of SKH-1 mice orally with caffeine (0.1 mg/ml
in the drinking water), voluntary running wheel exercise,
or a combination of caffeine and exercise for 2 weeks
(iii) stimulated the formation of UVB-induced apoptotic
      sunburn cells in the epidermis by 96, 120, and 376%,
      respectively; and
(iv)  stimulated the formation of UVB-induced caspase 3
      (active form)-positive cells in the epidermis by
      92, 120, and 389%, respectively.

In other words: in hairless mice exposed to UV-B radiation,
mechanisms protective against skin cancer were induced by
Caffeine (C) and Exercise (E) to degrees

  C: 90-95%   E: 120%  C+E: 375-390%

On another front, readers will be aware of concerns that
prolonged sitting in front of computer consoles brings with
it a risk of developing Deep Vein Thrombosis. I also propose
Caffeine as an effective prophylactic against IT-induced DVT.

High levels of caffeinaemia are most effective. Therefore,
while at work, drink at least one large cup of strong black
coffee every hour.

And make sure the computer is not on the same floor as the toilet.
Two flights of stairs are better than one.

Best wishes to all,
Ted.

E-Mail: (Ted Harding) <[log in to unmask]>
Fax-to-email: +44 (0)870 094 0861
Date: 31-Jul-07                                       Time: 09:37:01