Hi Kumara and the rest of the list serve,

I think that we ought to be thinking about this a bit differently and
see that the USER mode is not exclusive to searching only.  We can look
at the practices of most physicians and see the modes that they are
practicing in during routine medical practice.

The user mode is how EBM would be used practically for patient care "AT
THE POINT OF CARE".  However, USERS will still be reading journals on a
regular basis and some of the articles in them are not particularly
valid.  This requires some critical appraisal skills, but not the full
EBM process.  The EBM process is a paradigm that can support all levels
of EBM practice.

Asking: Determining the educational need in patient care or for life
long learning also known as "reflective practice"

Acquiring: Use of informatics to find the best evidence using the Haynes
5S pyramid, which can be preappraised sources or primary research
literature.

Appraising: For studies in journals read on a regular basis to be a
lifelong learner.  Also, for studies that are being appraised to become
CATs or Evidence Based Journal entries or as part of meta-analyses, etc.
for the DOERS.

Applying: Using clinical expertise to determine the applicability of
evidence (obtained from studies either as a USER or DOER) to an
individual patient.  Also as part of the Knowledge Translation process
to apply the best evidence to routine care of patient populations.

Assessment: Determining if the evidence is being used in a particular
clinical setting (departmental or organizational QI directors) or
determining ways to improve uptake of best evidence as part of the
Knowledge Transfer process.

I suppose the REPLICATORS are the only ones who dont need any of these
skills, putting them in the category of older physicians who were in
practice before EBM skills became commonly taught in medical training.

A recent study of resident wishes by Akl et al (Medical Teacher, 28:
192, 2006) came to the conclusion that residents (at the University of
Buffalo) preferred to be taught the full EBM process to use for future
EBM practice.

It seems that we can create a theoretical framework to justify teaching
all parts of the EBM process from undergraduate to graduate to
professional medical education.

As far as a tool to measure ability to find evidence, I think that the
5S pyramid ought to be able to be turned into such an instrument and I
would be glad to help any other members of the list serve create and
test such an instrument.

Hope this all helps,

Best wishes,

Dan

Dan Mayer, MD
Professor of Emergency Medicine
Albany Medical College
47 New Scotland Ave.
Albany, NY,  12208
Ph; 518-262-6180
FAX; 518-262-5029
E-mail; [log in to unmask]
>>> K Mendis <[log in to unmask]> 07/08/07 5:08 PM >>>
Dear all,

EBM is a multistep process and not all doctors want or need to learn how
practice all five steps of EBM - (1) asking,  (2) acquiring, (3)
appraising,
(4) applying, (5) assessing (BMJ  2004;329:1029-1032).

 'Clinicians can incorporate evidence into their practices in 3 ways.
First
is the "doing" mode, in which at least the first 4 steps are carried out
before an intervention is offered. Second is the "using" mode, in which
searches are restricted to evidence sources that have already undergone
critical appraisal by others, such as evidence-based guidelines or
evidence
summaries (thus skipping step 3). Third is the "replicating" mode, in
which
the decisions of respected opinion leaders are followed (abandoning at
least
steps 2 and 3). Of course, even clinicians trained to the "doing" level
move
back and forth between these modes, typically depending on whether they
are
dealing with clinical problems they encounter frequently or only
rarely'.(CMAJ  2000; 163 (7))

My questions are:

a) If doctors practice in the "USER" mode - is that sufficient to agree
that
they practice EBM?

b) Are there validated instruments that can be used to evaluate EBM in
USER
mode?

Especially web-based tools?

(I am aware of two validated questionnaires - Fresno and Berlin that
encompass the five steps.)

Thanks in advance

Kumara
Dr. Kumara Mendis
MBBS, MSc (Medical Informatics), MD (Family Medicine)
Senior Lecturer
School of Rural Health
University of Sydney
Tel: +61  02 6885 7996
Mob:+61 0408 975 784
----------------

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This email and any attachments may contain
confidential information that is protected by law and is for the
sole use of the individuals or entities to which it is addressed.
If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender by
replying to this email and destroying all copies of the
communication and attachments. Further use, disclosure, copying,
distribution of, or reliance upon the contents of this email and
attachments is strictly prohibited. To contact Albany Medical
Center, or for a copy of our privacy practices, please visit us on
the Internet at www.amc.edu.