Sorry for any cross-posting.

Our new Policy Brief (http://www.euro.centre.org/detail.php?xml_id=987)
by Asghar Zaidi and Eszter Zolyomi reports on our research for EU member
countries on the transmission of advantages and disadvantages between
generations.
This comparative study has become possible because the 2005 EU-SILC has
included one special data module, including the data for attributes of
each respondent’s parents during his/her childhood period at the age
14-16. The central tenet is that the disadvantages faced by parents
adversely affect their children’s chances of success, and whether public
policies could possibly ameliorate such effects. We find that, in the
majority of countries, all those whose parents had a low education have
a much higher risk of belonging to the group of people with low
education. Father’s low educational status is particularly linked with
the low educational outcomes of females and also with those aged 25-34.
The same pattern is observed when we examine the link with the education
of the mother, although the effect is somewhat smaller. With respect to
the linkage with the occupational status of fathers, we also find clear
evidence of occupational rigidity. The policy interventions to improve
outcomes during childhood are identified as most pertinent in breaking
such a cycle of disadvantages across generations.

Best regards

  Annette Hexelschneider, Dipl.-Ing.
  Head of Knowledge and Information Management Support Unit
  European Centre for Social Welfare Policy and Research
  Berggasse 17
  A-1090 Vienna (Austria)
  Tel: +43-1-319 45 05-23
  Fax: +43-1-319 45 05-19