On the topic of the two themes of birth and building on flood plains,
two recent stories in the press may be of interest:

1) The UK birth rate is rising, and has done so sharply in the last
three years.  In 2006 it was the highest it has been for 26 years
according to UK National Statistics:

http://www.statistics.gov.uk/pdfdir/frc0607.pdf

Which may further complicate debates on migration (economic or otherwise).

2) In the green paper on planning to address the serious shortfall in
housing presented to parliament yesterday there was a statement that
building new housing on flood plains is 'not ruled out':

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/ed96fb34-388a-11dc-bca9-0000779fd2ac.html
http://politics.guardian.co.uk/homeaffairs/story/0,,2133281,00.html

This is a debate that may run for some time.

Regards,

Sam Kinsley
--
School of Geographical Sciences