From: Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Andrew Duggan
Sent: 05 July 2007 15:00
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Narrative Conference Norway-1.ppt

Carl.

Hi again

You wrote:

There is an excellent article in this month’s Psychologist which criticises the proposal by Lord Layard of increasing the numbers of therapists able to work with people who are on incapacity benefit. His argument is that by providing CBT to these people they will become less depressed and better able to seek and take on work. They will be lifted off the list of the inactive benefit recipients, thereby reducing the tax burden. This financial saving could pay for the therapy service, making it self-financing.

There are many people who have 'issues' with Lord Layard's report and its clear directive that what we need is more CBT therapists, and when you add to this mix the Governments intention to employ more psychologists in the most deprived and 'problem ridden' parts of the UK, you do not have to look hard to see what the current policy direction is. Most therapeutic approaches to working with children do not address the issues you have outlined, they are not interested in fiscal trauma, racism, cultural dominance, mother blame etc etc. They are designed my white middle class, mostly male, Western orientated people who's underlying beliefs and philosophy help maintain many of the problems that children and their parents present with.

There is a very clear ethnocentrism with CBT for example, which developed from the traditions of experimental (scientific) methodology, a logical positivist, laboratory based approach that is easy to research and yet fails to address many of the 'issues' in people's lives which is why so many people need to have 'top-up' sessions of CBT. There is no doubt that CBT and other therapies have their place, but you also need approaches that raise people's awareness of their situation, that challenge the effects of a Western cultural model that by definition creates the child and adolescent mental health issues in the first place.

Warm regards

Andrew Duggan

This material has been checked by us for computer viruses using
CA Etrust V7 and although no virus has been found by us, we cannot
guarantee that it is completely free from such problems and we do not
accept any liability for loss or damage which may be caused. This
communication is intended solely for the addressee and is confidential.
If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying,
distribution or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on
it, is prohibited and may be unlawful.
Any information, materials, graphics, and/or opinions posted by the
sender are those of the respective sender and do not necessarily reflect
the opinion of Birmingham Children's Hospital NHS Foundation Trust unless
explicitly stated to the contrary.