Dear Matt (and the list),

Lasermet fit non-standard mains sockets such as this when we provide a laser socket that is switched by an interlock system.  However, this is intended more to try to ensure that the correct socket within the room is used, rather than to restrict use to that room only.  This would not, in any case, apply to most lasers used in hospitals as the interlock connector would be used instead of controlling the mains power (but some IPL and older laser systems used in clinics do not have suitable interlock connectors).

I have also seen non-standard plugs/sockets used where a single switch is used both to turn on the warning signs and energise the socket.  Again, this is intended more to ensure the correct socket is used rather than to restrict use to a particular room.

Personally, I would not generally specify the use of these plugs as an engineering control to ensure the laser can only be used within the designated room/controlled area unless there was a particular reason for doing so on a particular site.  As most machines have removable (IEC standard) mains leads which can easily be swapped, this would not seem particularly robust and would hence seem to add little to the administrative controls that should be in place anyway.

Regards,

Fred

Fred Wilson

LPA Service Manager

Lasermet Ltd

67, Portchester Road

BOURNEMOUTH

BH8 8JX

Tel:          01202-770740

Fax:         01202-770730

Website:  http://www.lasermet.com

E-mail:     [log in to unmask]

This e-mail and any attachments hereto are strictly confidential and may contain legally privileged information.  If you are not the intended addressee, you must not disclose, forward, copy or take any action in reliance of this e-mail or attachments.  If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender as soon as possible and delete all copies.